Monday, January 19, 2009

Saying Goodbye

On Wednesday January 14, 2009 I had to say goodbye to my best friend, my father. My dad was my everything, my superhero. He was the epitome of "Mr. Fix-it"! Dad could fix anything as minor as changing oil in a car to rewiring an entire house! In his profession he was a chef. He made the best cakes on earth & his ribs were off the chain! I wish I would have paid more attention in the kitchen while he was in there working his magic. My dad had a love for entertaining people. He wouldn't let you come to his home & not have something good to eat and drink with some good jazz playing in the background.

Writing this today is therapy for me, you have no idea the pain I feel right now. I would talk to my dad everyday even if it was only a five minute conversation to make sure he was ok. I know I will get through this with God's help but it's just really tough right now. I am an only child and he was my only surviving parent. My mom passed away when I was just six years old. My dad took on the task of being both mom & dad. I don't know many men who are willing to take on that task.

I am glad that I am the woman I am because that's who my dad taught me to be.

I thank God for letting me have my dad for 43 years and for letting my dad die with dignity. He didn't have to stay here and suffer. He would have never liked it if someone would have had to take care of him.

My message to you is to cherish your parents. If you don't get along with your parents find it in your heart to bury whatever it is keeping you from being close to them. Cherish every moment that you have with them because you never know when you'll have to say goodbye to them for the last time.

My cousin wrote a poem for me titled "The Father" please stop by his blog and read it. http://relentlessflow.blogspot.com/

Be Blessed

9 comments:

Ms. L said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...

I pray God comforts you during this difficult time

Memories keep the one you loved
close to you in spirit and thought
and always in your heart,
today and forever.

Afrolady said...

My Goodness Lovie, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Daddy's are truly a unique, unreplaceable event. Do all that you can to keep his memory alive and let the love that he showed you and the light in his eyes everytime he saw you nourish your soul and comfort you.

Your cyber fam is here for you, hugging and praying for you!!

Peace Lovie!!!!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

I know it's cold comfort, please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers in this sad time. May God encircle you with His wings and give you peace.

Nubian1 said...

Sorry for your loss, I lost my father back when I was 18!

You had 43 whole years with him, coupled with all the fond memories that they come with!

Whenever you are feeling the loss, turn it around and remember the good times instead!

Remain blessed.

Angel Locs said...

I can understand your feelings of loss. I posted to your other blog, I wasn't sure if you were saying goodbye to your Dad..until I clicked on this post.

I lost my father also, like your Dad he was a "Mr. Fixit" material things as well as my tears. You to look like you had much more then a Father/Daughter relationship...like me Dad he was your Shoulder of strength. Hold onto that strength during your time of grief.


Know that this is not Goodbye as the two of you will be together again in a much better place. He will always be with you in spirit and in your heart.

May God bless you and your family with peace during this time of sorrow.

Fuesha said...

Im so sorry for your loss. Try not to think of it as saying goodbye but rather a see you later.

Thanks for stoppin by my blog. I did that picture like that by using Picasa it free and can be downloaded from the net. All i did was push a button and tada thats what I good.

foxydiva said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father at a young age. Can't no body hold it down like daddy. But remember he is smiling down on you, looking over you, so make sure he gets to see you enjoying life bella *hugs*

Lady Butterfly said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know that it must be hard at times when you go to call him or just when you think about him. I pray that you will feel embraced and comforted by God's love and warmth. Just know that you are never alone, especially during this difficult time. My prayers are sincerely with you. Please continue to laugh about the good times.

new2locs said...

Thanks ladies for all of your condolences. It is much appreciated. I have to keep reminding myself that as long as I have God that I'm ok. I often find myself feeling lost. My dad was not just my dad but my closest friend. I miss him so much right now words can't even describe. I find myself wanting to call him and ask him if he's alright or what he's doing. I know it will take time but I know in God's time I'll be ok.
God Bless all of you!