Tuesday, September 29, 2009

13 Months



Last friday I was on my way out with my girlfriends to free salsa lesson's & while checking myself out in the mirror, I noticed I was looking rather cute so I attempted to capture my cuteness in a photo. I'm not always photogenic & I know usually you exude how you're feeling in your photo's so I thought this was a good opportunity to capture a good moment. LOL
I'm not so sure I captured what I was feeling because I think I was looking much cuter when I was looking at myself in the mirror.
Any who here are my loc's at 13 months. They are so dense and full now. I love them. They are getting to a point where I can actually pull them up in a ponytail when I workout. I love how I can feel them moving and swaying when I walk. That's new. LOL I love the way they feel in my hands, they feel like high quality cotton. So soft I can't keep my hands out of them. I think I'm having a love affair with my hair. Something some of our sister's have yet to achieve.
I was just talking to one of my girlfriends on the phone & she mentioned how her hair was so nappy & she needed a perm. She mentioned that she was so frustrated with her hair that she doesn't know what to do with it. So I asked her, I said now I'm gonna ask you a question & you have to answer honestly. She said ok. So I asked her do you really know your hair texture? I said you've had perms forever & you perm at the first sight of a kink or wave. So how can you say that your hair is nappy? She said you know you're right I don't really know. I failed to mention that she was complaining about how she sweats her hair out & when it gets humid out or rains her hair napp's up. I just laughed at her & said I don't have any of those issues. So she goes on to say I don't think I could wear my hair like that because it's too nappy. I told her the nappier the prettier your loc's will be. I hope she thinks about it & considers going natural be it loose or loc'd. I just want to persuade at least one sister friend or even stranger that natural is the way to go.
It's funny that a lot of us out here when we do decide to go natural we don't have a clue about what to do with our hair, which I find odd by the way with so much info out her in cyberspace.
Have you inspired or persuaded a friend to go natural? If so I would love it if you would share your story with me.

5 comments:

Chloe Bee said...

I have actually! I remeber freshman year of college I stopped wearing my press so vigourously and enbraced my natural the way it was supposed to be. I rember my friend richanda loved to admire my hair dn wouldnt you know the next year she was natural. She loved it....Fast forward 5 years, many boyfriends, a husband and a her child later she called me up for some moral support on her hair. I'd always been there for her but havign moved to Cali I wasnt that visual inspiration. This was 6 months ago word on teh street is shes permed now but I feel she'll go back and hopefully embrace more styles then a puff. I personally think that was her downfall...Lack of (percieved) versitility) But our friend Monique is now natural as a result of richanda so thats good. I know this sounds conceeded but I htink I have turned alot of people on jsut by rockign it proudly. Mny peopel that had once commented on the beautify of my look now have naturals adn soem have locks. I know I dont deserve any credit...I dont get any anyway but I think jsut beign you is the easiest way! Now if I could just get my girl chika! (sorry for the disceration but I feel this post sooo much) and I know what you mean when teh camera doesnt caputre your true essence!

PhePhi said...

hey there. i think ur cuteness is "exuding" from the pic...LOL. very nice. i like the color 2. i hear ya. i LUV my natural/kinky/curly/nappy hair. i don't run from rain. i don't even own an umbrella...LOLOL. anyhoo, i convinced 2 sistahs. one has since reverted back to perms but she realized that was a mistake & is transitioning. the otha sistah did the big chop a month before i did. she nappy & luv'n it.

new2locs said...

@Chloe I love the dissertation!! I know what you mean about not getting the credit but it doesn't really matter as long as we persuade someone to have a healthier head of hair. LOL
@Phephi thanks for the compliment

The Real Nique said...

Cuteness definitely captured! I am glad you could help educate a wondering mind. Your hair looks great and the color compliments you well.

brunsli said...

You are looking cute indeed! I know how you feel though -- it's hard to take a good self-portrait, since at close range, cameras tend to distort.

I haven't convinced anyone (besides my blog readers) to go natural, no matter how hard I try. I stopped trying, and now I just answer questions for women who are curious.

I love your self-love! Keep it up!