Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chris Rock Reviewing his movie Good Hair on Oprah

OK first let me say Chris Rock is hilarious! Now from watching the show I see that they are not really dwelling on the fact of black women having their hair natural, but the obsession of black women having their hair done period be it braids, permed or weave. He's quite comical when he describes how black women don't want you putting your hands in their hair because they really have a weave but don't want you to know it. I guess some of us women have really programmed our men to not touch our hair. Now I know why my husband doesn't touch my hair, which I wish he really would. It must be from a previous girlfriend because I've never worn weave. And really people are putting their weave on layaway? Come on we have really been hoodwinked.

The hair industry is 9 billion dollars mostly spent on weave. How can we put even a portion of that money back in the black community & use it for good?

I like that the Oprah show is also touching on white women & their hair obsessions as well. I'm not quite sure if it's a movie I will spend money to go see yet but I will watch when it comes out on video.

One thing I did notice at the beginning of the show is that his two daughters are indeed natural.

Solange said it best that she wanted to be free from the bondage & fill liberated!!! I can't believe she said she was spending $40,000 to $50,000 a year on her hair! Geez.

OK Chris is back on my good side he said however you decide to wear your hair is "good hair". And he is not an advocate for children having perms in their hair & he thinks that kiddie perms should be taken off of the shelves.

Ladies weigh in let me know if you had an opportunity to watch Oprah today & what your thoughts are on the movie. Would you spend money to go see it?

3 comments:

Chloe Bee said...

I did...oddly. Normally I would be at school but with my class canceled for the afternoon and I got an opportunity to catch the show. After watching I was so compelled I made a video response on youtube. I like the show but they defiantly said all of two words on natural hair dn it was manely ( pun fully intended) by Nia long who said somehtign to the extent of your not as beheld if your a brown skinned girl with the natural, or locks or whatever. I feel like the discussion (and on Tyras episode too) were good in theory by in practice could have delivered much more. They preach the woes of relaxers but no one said wear your own hair the way it is of right. NEWHO sidebar*** did you notice the way Chris Rock looked at Solange I thought he was gonna eat her alive! ewww!

Gigglz said...

I did not get a chance to see Oprah and I so wish I knew about it beforehand so I could have DVR'd it. In any event, I am interested in seeing this movie even if its just for giggles and I will be taking my 5 year old to see it, hopefully something with stick!

brunsli said...

I can't wait to see it!

I wish I had a TV so I could have seen Oprah.